Modi gave this slogan while addressing the virtual housewarming ceremony of 1.75 lakh houses built in rural parts of Madhya Pradesh under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana.
Here are the top developments:
With a record 81,533 people recuperating from Covid-19 in a day, India’s total recoveries on Saturday surged to 36,24,196 of which 60 per cent of the cases are from five states, including Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka. India’s Covid-19 case fatality rate has further dropped to 1.66 per cent while the recovery rate has risen to 77.77 per cent, according to the Union health ministry.
India’s Covid-19 caseload raced past 46 lakh with a record 97,570 infections being reported in a day, while 36,24,196 people have recuperated so far, according to Union health ministry data. The total number of coronavirus cases mounted to 46,59,984, while the death toll climbed to 77,472.
A day after an ICMR report created a stir in medical circles when it revealed that the country potentially had 6.4 million Covid infections in May, health professionals say there is a need for another national-level sero-survey to study the spread of the infection.
Metro rail services have mostly resumed and limited reopening of educational institutions is permitted later this month. Among the cities assessed by TOI, Bengaluru is the most ‘open’ while Mumbai and Pune have the widest restrictions in place amid a spike in cases in Maharashtra.
Bharat Biotech International Limited has announced that its Covid-19 vaccine candidate, Covaxin, has shown positive efficacy in animal studies and generated robust immune responses. Covaxin, developed by the Indian Council of Medical Research and Bharat Biotech, is being tested at 12 institutes across India.
Amidst the Covid-19 pandemic, the National Testing Agency has implemented a comprehensive plan to hold NEET UG examination in a hassle-free manner. Considering the pandemic threat, NTA has reduced the number of candidates per room from earlier 24 to 12 now. Advisory regarding Covid-19 has been released by NTA for ensuring social distancing outside the examination hall, the entry and exit of candidates has been staggered.
- Delhi: It is not just ICU beds; general beds for Covid-19 patients in Delhi are also getting occupied fast, and hospitals say if the rising trend persists, a crisis may be at hand soon. On Friday, for the first time in the last one month, the occupancy of Covid general beds crossed 6,000.
- Andhra Pradesh: A record 75,000-plus tests turned out 9,901 fresh Covid-19 cases in Andhra Pradesh while over 10,000 more patients got cured. Also, 67 fresh fatalities were reported in the state in 24 hours. The states Covid-19 chart now read 5,57,587 total cases.
- Uttarakhand: The BJP’s Raipur MLA Umesh Sharma Kau said that he has tested positive for Covid-19. The legislator also advised his friends and acquaintances, who had come in contact with him recently, to go for a coronavirus test and stay safe.
- Karnataka: Thirty-six doctors from private hospitals, nursing homes and clinics succumbed to Covid-19 in the past three months across Karnataka, according to the state chapter of the Indian Medical Association.
- UP: The Covid-19 caseload in Uttar Pradesh crossed the three-lakh mark with 6,846 more people contracting the viral infection, while the death toll in the state reached 4,349. The total count of coronavirus cases in the state stands at 3,05,831.
- Gujarat: Considering the rise in Covid-19 cases, the Gujarat health department has directed oxygen manufacturing units to ramp up production to maximum capacity and ensure that 50 per cent of it is “medical oxygen” meant for hospitals.
- Maharashtra: After two months of registering single-digit cases on most days, Dharavi on Friday recorded 33 new Covid-19 cases. BMC senior officials said the rise in cases is because of increased testing. “This isn’t a second wave, it is just a blip from the plateau that Mumbai had settled into for two months,” said a senior state official.
- J&K: Jammu and Kashmir recorded the highest single-day spike of 1,698 new Covid-19 cases, taking the Union territory’s tally to 52,410, while 10 more fatalities pushed the toll to 864. It is for the 10th time in as many days that the number of fresh cases has crossed 1,000 in a 24-hour period.
- Mizoram: Twenty-six more people, including a nine-month-old baby, have tested positive for Covid-19 in Mizoram, taking the northeastern state’s tally to 1,379. Mizoram now has 589 active cases, while 790 people have been cured of the disease so far.
- Bihar: As many as 1,421 new Covid-19 cases were reported in Bihar, taking the total number of active cases in the state to 16,610. The highest number of new cases were reported from Patna with 205 new cases.
- Kerala: PNB Vesper Life Science Pvt Ltd, a Kochi-based pharmaceutical company, received approval from the Drug Controller General of India to conduct the Phase 2b
clinical trialof their propriety drug PNB-001 (GPP-Baladol) in treating Covid-19 patients.
- Ladakh: Two more coronavirus positive elderly persons succumbed to the infection in
Ladakh, bringing the number of deaths linked to the disease to 38 in the Union territory. Both the deaths were reported from Leh district.
- Puducherry: People with any symptoms of Covid-19 should visit hospital without delay so that their lives can be saved, Puducherry relief and rehabilitation commissioner A Anbarasu said. There were instances of patients going to hospitals at the last minute and dying despite the treatment given to them.
- Rajasthan: The state capital Jaipur, which had witnessed the first case of Covid-19 in March, has the highest number of active Covid-19 cases in the state. Till Saturday evening, the number of active cases in Jaipur rose to 5,128 of the total 15,859 in the state.
- Odisha: Odisha’s Covid-19 tally mounted to 1,46,894 with 3,777 more people testing positive for the disease, while 11 fresh fatalities pushed the state’s death toll to 616. Odisha currently has 34,163 active cases, while 1,12,062 people have recovered from the infection.
- Andamans: At least 29 more people tested positive for Covid-19 in Andaman and Nicobar Islands, raising the tally in the Union territory to 3,494. The Union territory currently has 286 active cases, while 51 people have succumbed to the infection.
- Arunachal Pradesh: Arunachal Pradesh’s Covid-19 tally mounted to 5,825 as 154 more people, including three security personnel and two health workers, have tested positive for the disease. The death toll rose to 10 in the northeastern state after a 38-year-old woman succumbed to the infection.
- Telangana: Doctors at a hospital in Hyderabad claimed to have successfully performed the country’s first double lung transplant surgery on a 32-year-old Covid-19 patient, who was suffering from sarcoidosis that affected his lungs.
- Drugs giant
AstraZenecaon Saturday said it had resumed a Covid-19 vaccine trial after getting the all-clear from British regulators, following a pause caused by a UK volunteer falling ill.
- The novel coronavirus has killed at least 916,372 people since the outbreak emerged in China last December. At least 28,534,330 cases of coronavirus have been registered. Of these, at least 19,016,500 people are now considered recovered.
- Brazil’s death toll from Covid-19 surpassed 130,000 on Friday, amid cautious optimism over signs the virus is finally slowing in the hard-hit South American country. Brazil, home to 212 million people, has registered nearly 4.3 million infections.
- Singapore reported 42 new coronavirus cases, mostly among foreign workers, taking the country’s infection count to 57,357. “There are 10 imported cases, who have been placed on Stay-Home Notice upon arrival in Singapore,” officials said.
- Nepal reported 14 more deaths from Covid-19 and 1,202 new coronavirus cases, taking the country’s toll to 336 and total infections to 53,120. According to the ministry of health, the active case count stands at 15,260. So far, 37,524 individuals have made successful recoveries.
- A total of 5,488 Covid-19 cases were registered in Russia in the past 24 hours, bringing the cumulative total to 1,057,362, Sputnik reported citing the country’s coronavirus response center. The country recorded 119 Covid-19 fatalities, bringing the death toll to 18,484, and 5,428 recoveries.
- South Korea reported 136 more cases of the novel coronavirus, raising the total number of infections to 22,055. The daily caseload stayed below 200 for 10 straight days, but it continued to grow in triple digits since August 14.
- The United Arab Emirates said its daily novel coronavirus cases hit an all-time high of 1,007, exceeding the levels they reached at the last peak in May. Authorities sounded the alarm earlier in the week when daily cases jumped five-fold compared with a month ago, and warned citizens to abide by measures designed to curb the disease.