Under unlock 5.0, state governments have been given the flexibility to take a decision regarding the re-opening of schools and coaching institutions after October 15. However, the schools and coaching institutes need parental consent.
The decision can be taken in consultation with the respective school/ institution management, based on their assessment of the situation, and subject to the following conditions:
- Online/ distance learning shall continue to be the preferred mode of teaching and shall be encouraged.
- Where schools are conducting online classes, and some students prefer to attend online classes rather than physically attend school, they may be permitted to do so.
- Students may attend schools/ institutions only with the written consent of parents.
- Attendance must not be enforced, and must depend entirely on parental consent.
- States /UTs will prepare their own SOP regarding health and safety precautions for reopening of schools/ institutions based on the SOP to be issued by Department of School Education and Literacy (DoSEL), Ministry of Education, Government of India, keeping local requirements in view.
- Schools, which are allowed to open, will have to mandatorily follow the SOP to be issued by Education Departments of States/ UTs.
Under the latest guidelines, the department of higher education (DHE), ministry of education may take a decision on the timing of the opening of Colleges/ Higher Education Institutions, in consultation with MHA, based on the assessment of the situation. Online/ distance learning will continue to be the preferred.